Wellness Wednesdays by Nurse Fiona- Mind your Mitochondria
Mitochondria are tiny components within your cells that are responsible for 90% of the energy produced by your body. It is thought these ‘powerhouses’ were originally derived from bacteria. Mitochondria act like a digestive system taking in and breaking down nutrients to create energy molecules for our cells and bodies to use. In order for your organs to function properly, they require energy, and that energy is produced by the mitochondria.
Since mitochondrial function is at the very heart of everything that occurs in your body, optimising mitochondrial function – and preventing mitochondrial dysfunction by making sure you get all the right nutrients your mitochondria need – is extremely important for health, disease prevention and anti-ageing.
Nutrients essential for mitochondrial function
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine: High in protein rich foods such as seafood, lean meats, poultry and eggs)
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: High in spinach, broccoli, cabbage, red meat)
- CoQ10: Nuts, seeds, oily fish, organ meats
- Magnesium: Dark green vegetables
- B vitamins: Meat, eggs, seeds, nuts, dark green vegetables
- Essential Fatty Acids: Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, flaxseed oil
- Glutathione: Be sure your diet is high in quality sources of protein as this is needed to manufacture glutathione. We also administer Intravenous Glutathione at Nuriss. This antioxidant is crucial in supporting function of our mitochondria
Other ways to improve mitochondrial function
- Intermittent fasting: This is where you eat all of your daily calories within a specific time frame, for example eating 10am-6pm. This is thought to reduce free radical damage of mitochondria
- Regular exercise: This signals your mitochondria to make more mitochondria due to increase energy requirement.
At Nuriss we are excited to offer the Organic Acids test that can assess your mitochondrial function and whether you are missing any of the nutrients needed for optimal function of this powerhouse. We can then bespoke a nutritional plan bespoke to how your energy powerhouses are functioning. Price £400