Wellness Wednesdays by Nurse Fiona – Chocolate, is there an alternative?

 In Health, Health & Wellbeing, Lifestyle, Nutrition

It is no secret that Easter and chocolate go hand in hand. Are you one of those people who struggles to get through the day without a piece of chocolate? Are you looking for a healthy and delicious alternative to curb your sugar cravings?

Cacao is the source of original, natural chocolate that contains a variety of unique phytonutrients, including high amounts of sulfur, magnesium and phenylethylamine.

Unfortunately, most chocolate bars that we consume today contain very little cacao and large amounts of processed sugar. A milk chocolate bar contains 24% cocoa and the remaining 76% contains sugar or other processed ingredients. As we know, sugar wreaks havoc on our blood sugar levels leading to inflammation throughout the body.

Today we have a quick and easy chocolate recipe that is packed full of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats – Nurse Fiona’s ‘Chocolate Almond Coconut Cups’

200g of 100% cacao or dark chocolate. I love Vivani organic chocolate
4 tbsp organic almond butter
4 tbsp shredded coconut
½ tsp stevia

In a saucepan, melt the chocolate over a gentle heat. Once melted, add the almond butter and shredded coconut and mix together. After 1 minute, add ½ tsp stevia and take the saucepan off the hob.

Pour the mixture into small bite size cups and then transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes. These lovely little bites can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 weeks to help stave off the Easter cravings!

Recent Posts