Wellness Wednesdays by Nurse Fiona- Benefits of Beetroots
Benefits of Beetroots
As the season changes so does the produce available to us. In the UK, beetroots are abundant this time of year. Beets are a 2 in 1 vegetable- you can enjoy both their roots and leaves. Beets are full of vitamins & minerals, particularly B vitamins important for cellular metabolism. Beets are also high in a unique phytonutrient pigment known as Betalain, which has strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These super vegetables are also low calories: 1 cup of beets contains 75 calories.
What are the benefits of Beetroots?
1) Potent antioxidant: Beets demonstrate their anti-oxidant uniqueness by getting their red pigment primarily from the phytonutrient Betalain. This pigment has demonstrated to reduce oxidative stress at a cellular level. In human studies to date, betalain consumption has been reported to reduce blood pressure, attenuate inflammation, avert oxidative stress, and preserve cerebrovascular function.
2) Supports detoxification: Betalain has been shown to support our liver in Phase 2 detoxification. This phase is a metabolic step that removes toxins & waste from our systems. One particular study has linked Beet consumption with increasing enzymes responsible for toxins excretion. This also helps support hormone balance.
3) Promotes a healthy heart: Beetroots are rich in nitrates, a compound that acts as a vasodilator improving blood flow and reducing high blood pressure. Two separate human studies showed consumption of beets to reduce both blood pressure and cholesterol in patients with uncontrolled blood pressure
4) Boosts athletic performance: Beetroots have been hailed as one of the best foods for athletes. The nitrates in beets have been shown to support our mitochondria (cellular component responsible for energy production)
4 ways to consume Beetroots
- Eat raw and add to salad or smoothie
- Slow pressed beetroot juice
- Steam or boil
- Roast with coconut or olive oil
Nurse Fiona’s Beetroot hummus
- 1 can (400g) of chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 250g steamed beetroot
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2Tbps olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl & enjoy with bread, crackers or carrot/celery sticks.
Store in airtight jar in fridge for up to 4 days
For more information about Nuriss nutrition email firstname.lastname@example.org