Wellness Wednesday by Nurse Fiona- Brazil nuts
Brazil nuts are edible seeds from the Brazil nut tree. They can be eaten raw or blanched. Brazil nuts are a monounsaturated fat (which is a good fat), a great source of protein and fiber and they also contain high amounts of magnesium, zinc, calcium and vitamin E. Brazil nuts are most renowned for their high selenium content and contain the highest amount of this essential nutrient of any other food source.
Nurse Fiona recommends consuming 2 Brazil nut per day to make sure you are getting enough Selenium. Why not try this for 6 weeks and feel the difference in your energy levels and see your skin, hair and nail strengthen?
Health benefits of Selenium
1) Potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory: Studies have shown that eating just 1 Brazil nut per day can reduce inflammatory and oxidative markers within the body.
2) Aids Glutathione formation: As we know Glutathione is our ‘Master antioxidant’. Selenium helps our bodies make this important free radical fighter
3) Anti-cancer nutrient: A study published in The Journal of the National Cancer Institute, found highly significant increase in the incidence of esophageal cancer with low Selenium levels.
4) Supports your thyroid gland: Your thyroid helps control your metabolism, heart rate and body temperature. The thyroid gland has more selenium content per gram of tissue than any other organ in your body. Selenium is a key component of the molecules that are necessary for your body to be able to create and use thyroid hormones.
5) Skin, nail and hair nutrient: Selenium improves skin elasticity and reduces redness and inflammation. This mineral also helps to strengthen nail and hair growth